Thursday, April 7, 2016

FAQ's

Thanks, Mom for my new favorite shirt!



After my last post, I had many people message me with questions, and since most people had similar questions, I decided to answer a few of them here.

Here it goes!

#1 I have the Fitbit (myfitnesspal, calorie counter, etc.) app, but it says I'm only allowed 1100 calories, and sometimes less than that. How do you get yours to 1300-1600?

A: I don't really listen to the app. On days I don't run, my app only allows me like 900 calories. If I only eat that much, I feel like I'm starving, so I don't worry about it. I like logging food on the app, but I just I make my own range and hope it works :)


#2 How do you stay motivated?

A: I don't! If you ever read this blog, you will see that 90% of my posts are me saying that I don't want to run, I haven't worked out in forever, I need to get back on track, etc. I have a hard time staying motivated. When I'm feeling that way, I go to Pinterest and search "running motivation". It sounds stupid, but it totally works. If all else fails, I just suck it up and go run. If I can just get myself out there, I know I won't regret it.

When it comes to dieting, if I am discouraged, I just say "Okay, I'm going to do good today, just today". If I get through one day of eating better, then I am encouraged to keep it going.


#3 How often do you run?

I try to run about 4 times a week. I run right after work 3 times a week, and then I run on Saturday with Team Tortoise for our long run. Some weeks I run less, and some I run more, but I try not to go more than 2 days in a row without running. I rarely miss a Saturday long run. Those are my favorite!

#4 How tall are you?

I am 5'5.

#6 You actually like to run?

I don't. The entire time I'm running, I can't wait until it is over. But I really like the feeling of accomplishment afterwards. I have started to enjoy the long runs, because I can go slower and enjoy my music.
 

#5 How did you start running?

I saved this for last since I knew it would be a little longer. Like I said in my previous post, I tried Couch to 5k over and over, and I just could not do it. I decided that I would just run as long (time, not distance) as I could, and then I would add on to that.

The first day I went out, I ran for 30 seconds. It was terrible. I thought  "There is NO WAY I could do this for 10 minutes, much less 30!" I wanted to give up right then, but the next  day I went out, and ran for 1 minute; Then the next day I ran for 2 minutes, then 3, and so on....

I used to like running on a track so that way I could see exactly how far I was going. After I got to the point that I could run one loop around the track, I started going by distance instead of time (this probably isn't the best idea). I kept adding on little by little until I could run a full 5k.

My suggestion for anyone struggling to start is to run slow! You need to run slower that you think is okay. Most people, myself included, start too fast, and they can't keep going. During my first 5k, I ran a 16+ minute mile. People can walk faster than that! But the speed will come later. If you are having trouble going a certain distance, just slow it down.

Here is a running plan from my favorite blog, runsforcookies.com
I loosely followed this plan. I think it is the best plan for anyone starting out.

No comments:

Post a Comment